A tooth veneer is a thin, custom-made, tooth-colored shell that masks a tooth’s imperfections. Veneers are a great way to transform your smile, especially if you struggle with discoloration, gap teeth, misaligned or misshapen teeth, and other cosmetic dental issues.
Do you often catch yourself feeling self-conscious about your smile? Dental veneers may be a viable option for you. To find out more, please call Concord Dental Associates for a thorough evaluation. We’re a trusted veneers dental practice that serves patients of all ages.
Types of Veneers
Dental veneers come in two main types: porcelain veneers and composite veneers.
Porcelain veneers offer stunning aesthetics and are impressively durable and stain-resistant. They’re made in a laboratory from your dental impression and require at least two visits.
Composite resin veneers are relatively strong, durable and offer natural, if not entirely custom, aesthetics. These veneers can be completed within a single visit.
Who Needs Veneers?
Dental veneers services can help individuals struggling with various dental problems to overcome their challenges and feel more confident in their smiles.
You may be a good candidate for dental veneers if you have:
- Slightly misaligned teeth
- Gaps in your teeth
- Discolored teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Worn teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Unusually short or small teeth
Dental Veneers Application Process
If you’re seeking dental veneers services, you should expect to make at one to three trips to your dentist’s office. During the first trip, the dentist evaluates your suitability for dental veneers. On your second trip, the dentist prepares your teeth, and finally, on the third and final trip, the dentist cements your permanent restorations in place.
Below is a step-by-step breakdown of the dental veneers application process:
- The dentist trims your tooth to remove enamel that is equivalent to the size and thickness of the veneer. For this process, local anesthesia may be used to enhance the patient’s comfort.
- The dentist uses a shade guide to determine the color that closely matches your natural smile.
- Your dentist obtains your dental impressions, either manually using dental putty or digitally, with the aid of an intraoral scanner.
- If necessary, the dentist places temporary veneers to help you go about your daily life without feeling self-conscious while you wait for your temporary restorations. It takes about two weeks for the dental lab to fabricate your custom permanent veneers. If only a minimal and hardly noticeable amount of tooth was trimmed, there might be no need for temporary veneers.
- On your final appointment, the dentist checks the fit of the veneers before cementing them in place. Veneers are permanent restorations, and great care needs to be taken before bonding the veneer.
- Once the veneer is a perfect fit, the dentist etches or roughens your tooth to encourage better attachment and then bonds the restoration in place. Any excess dental cement is trimmed off, and final touches are made to ensure a polished look.
How to Care for Veneers
Dental veneers are remarkably durable but can still suffer damage if not cared for correctly. Below are some practical and valuable tips on how to safeguard your new smile after your dental veneers procedures:
- Maintain proper oral hygiene to lower your risk of staining and cavities. You can still get cavities under your veneers if you neglect your dental hygiene.
- Limit staining foods and beverages. While veneers are usually difficult to stain, they may become discolored after lengthy exposure to color-saturated foods and drinks.
- Schedule regular dental exams with our dentists at Concord Dental Associates. This way, the dentists can keep an eye on your restorations and offer timely intervention, when required.
- Avoid biting your fingernails and other habits that may cause your veneers to chip or crack.
Benefits of Veneers
Dental veneers offer numerous benefits to individuals struggling with various cosmetic dental problems. These include:
- Veneers look natural. They transform your smile dramatically while still maintaining the natural look.
- Veneers dental procedures shouldn’t require extensive enamel removal, which makes them friendlier to tooth structure.
- Porcelain veneers are stain-resistant.
- Veneers are well tolerated by gum tissue.
- Veneers don’t require extensive care. They’re low maintenance.
- Veneers are versatile because they can correct multiple dental problems with one treatment option. For instance, a patient with chipped and discolored teeth can fix both issues using dental veneers.
- Lastly, veneers boost your self-confidence and allow you to smile and interact freely without inhibition.
Transform Your Smile
Are you finally ready to get started on your long overdue smile makeover? A more confident and attractive smile can transform your life in more ways than one.
Get in touch with Concord Dental Associates today if you’re looking for a veneers dental practice where your views and needs are prioritized.